3 Steps to Migrate from Docker Cloud to Jelastic PaaS before Shutdown
Recent announcement about shutting down Docker Cloud became shocking for all its users, especially unexpected was the timeframe of two months for migration. 21st May 2018 is an official deadline and it is only about 50 days left, so there is no time for deep investigation or proof of concepts for choosing the required solution.
As a result, many developers and companies are totally frustrated right now. So we’d like to assist in solving this issue and present a simple step-by-step instruction how to migrate from Docker Cloud to Jelastic PaaS with zero code changes and minimal configurations.
1. Group all your services into one stackfile with the .yml extension using official Docker instruction.
2. Follow the link and install Docker Swarm using Jelastic pre-packaged template (this process is fully automated):
- Using the link above you’ll start with a free trial account for Docker Swarm installation at Jelastic service providers from Switzerland
- This cluster is also available for installation at some other providers in different locations but already within full billing accounts. Choose the required and register here
Just specify the required details to get the cluster you need:
- Manager – number of manager nodes to be included into a cluster
- Worker – number of worker nodes to be included into a cluster
- Deploy Stack YML – choose this installation type to perform docker stack deploy alongside with cluster creation and instantly deploy the required dockerized services by specifying the link to the previously created compose YML file
- Environment – a name for your environment
- Display Name – optional alias to be displayed for an environment
Once all the required configurations are stated, click Install and wait a few minutes for Jelastic to automatically perform all required actions.
if required you can also automatically install Docker Engine for your projects following the instruction here
3. Switch the traffic to just installed a cluster with deployed services. For this make your external DNS provider point to your new environment via A Record or CNAME if your environment does not have a Public IP.
That’s all, your Docker-based project is up and running at Jelastic Cloud in just three steps.
- Deploy from Public and Private Docker Hub Registries
- Integration with Git/SVN and CI/CD tools
- Support of stateful, legacy and microservice applications
- Zero downtime re-deployment and automated updates
- Deployment via “compose up” and “docker stack” commands
“Simplicity, Scalability, Reliability. The fact that you can deploy an environment within a few minutes by the click of a button makes this solution very attractive.” SATIAMO, eLogistics platform
- Automatic vertical and horizontal scaling based on load trigger
- Containers auto-discovering and interlinking during scaling
- Sticky load balancing and smart traffic distribution
- Scaling limits for CPU & memory, disk space and I/O usage per container
- Scalable prepackaged cluster for complex Dockerized applications
“Jelastic is great as it is a highly flexible platform that enables us to add scalable infrastructure, so important to meet an ICO. We can meet those goals using a clustered WordPress solution, which allows us to pay less now and handle traffic spikes automatically during the ICO.” Tokenestate.io, blockchain startup
- High availability across multiple clouds
- Disaster recovery and backups on external cloud
- Multi-region hosting within 50 data centers worldwide
- Live containers migration with no downtimes or vendor lock-in
- Running on bare metal or in VMs from different vendors
“Main reason to have several data centers and hosting providers is geographical accessibility. Our SaaS clients are dealing on financial industry and they appreciate that their software and data are kept in the same country as they are operating.” FA Solutions, financial software company
- Intuitive UI for self-management
- Advanced configurations through SSH and CLI
- Interactive file manager, built-in stats, logs and load alerts
- Configurable links, environment variables and volumes
- Scripting of repeatable application lifecycle tasks
- Collaboration and access control
- Automatic hibernation of idle containers
“Jelastic is definitely a powerful tool for teams and developers that want to concentrate on developing software and forget about server or cloud configuration. It’s just too simple to use Jelastic.” ezCare, home care application
How Much Does It Cost?
RAM, CPU and disc space are charged on an hourly base only if they are actually used by the application. You can set up maximum scaling limit to be ready for any load spike but pay only for what is consumed. Additionally, the payment can be taken for enabled Public IP, SSL or external traffic. The price for each resource unit depends on the chosen hosting provider.
“We’ve reduced by 30% our infrastructure cost as Jelastic offers a pay as you use pricing structure. So we do not need to guess how many resources to buy beforehand, we just pay for what we consume.” swiss.blackfriday, marketplace of e-tailers promotions
During free trial period you can easily estimate the price on a monthly, daily or hourly base specifically for your application. Built-in billing details for whole account or separate environment help to track and optimize your cloud hosting expenses throughout the lifecycle of the project.
Let’s Get Started!
Need assistance at any stage of the migration? Our 24/7 technical support is ready to help with moving applications of any complexity (send request if required).
Choose a service provider you want (based on location, performance or price) and move your projects to Jelastic PaaS in a smooth and easy way.